Thursday, May 26, 2011

Today is National Soup Day - we can make a difference!

It seems as if winter has officially arrived as of today!  I have to admit that I'm not a big fan of winter.  I know that it's the time for sherry and comfort food and cozy get-togethers in front of the fireplace (or heater, but fireplace just sounds so romantic).  It's the ideal excuse to spend the whole weekend under a blanket in front of the the television, or reading the last three novels that you just don't find the time for during summer.  It's the three-month period in the year (for us in South Africa, that is) where you can actually share three bottles of red wine between the two of you and it's okay - all in the name of 'winter warmers'.

We (read I) so often complain about the less convenient aspects that defines winter - getting up early while it's still dark, finding it very hard to hit the gym morning, noon or night, and having to get up from the couch to get ready for bed.  When I read this and just think about it for a moment I know that I should be embarrassed that these are the reasons for my dislike in winter!  I can actually pick and choose what I want to eat tonight, have an electric blanket to my disposal and a few jackets to choose from to wear off the winter chill.  What about those that don't have anything to eat or wear - left alone winter comfort food or a suitable wardrobe?  We can make our small difference to our fellow South Africans by taking part in Denny's National Soup Day.

"Denny, South Africa’s canned soup range, has embraced National Soup Day on May 26, 2011, and is leading South Africa in making sure that those living in our poorest communities can also enjoy a hearty meal.  
Denny will donate 50c worth of soup from each can of Denny Soup sold in May and June 2011 to FoodBank South Africa, a non-profit organisation that secures quality food for the hungry, helping to alleviate hunger and malnutrition in South Africa".
 
I've said to a friend this morning that our mantra as of today should be to make a difference - big or small.  This is an ideal opportunity - are you game?
 
Interested in making a difference?  Read the full article on National Soup Day and the We Can Change Our World initiative.

No comments:

Post a Comment