Monday, March 7, 2011

Number one on my 'to do list': let it be!

Have you ever thought about the concept 'human being', and why we are called 'beings' and not 'doings'?

I've read a very interesting article in the Feb/March issue of Psychologies the other day - suggesting that we are meant to 'just be' sometimes.   I find it very difficult not to be busy with a specific act or task.  When I'm not 'caught in the act' I'm probably thinking about that never-ending list of things that still need to be done - and I'm sure I'm not the only one struggling with this

Our construct of our world is in many respects made up of our perception of being busy with certain tasks - doing something at at specific place and in a certain time frame.  Listen to an ordinary conversation in any given context - the second sentence after "how are you" will most probably be "very busy - I don't know where I'll find the time to do this or that".  We (like to) think of ourselves as being 'do-ers' - always busy with the next thing on our list.  But it is okay to 'just be' sometimes - not chasing to the next event or appointment (and very often creating something new if there is nothing to attend to).  

We are human beings, not 'doings' - we are supposed to live in and enjoy the moment - not always attending to the next 'do' on our list. 

What did the Beatles say?  Let it be....

I'm going to try to apply this during this week; do you think it's possible at all?

3 comments:

  1. I suppose putting 'being time' on my To Do List is the only way I will actually get to just being...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I catch your drift ;-)

    If that's what it takes to spend some quality time with ourselves then so be it - nr 5 (at least) on today's list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so important to just be sometimes. Shut down that brain!!!!!

    ReplyDelete