Monday, January 24, 2011

Yes to saying no

I'm not sure why I'm thinking about assertiveness today.  It might have something to do with my mindset on a Monday - the beginning of a new week, a good time to 'take charge' and do a bit of internal examining (for me, that is).

Many of us struggle with the act of saying no, of setting (and sticking to) the boundaries that we've set.  It's not a bad thing to be the nice guy (or girl), but it can become a bad thing if you're always taking that stance, no matter what the circumstances are.  Setting boundaries and saying no is not something that comes natural to me (and I think many of you will share this notion).   This implies that I constantly have to remind myself that it is okay (and very necessary, in fact) to communicate my thoughts and wishes to others in order to be - and to develop - my true self.

Assertiveness is a very important skill that will assist you in reaching your goals and might bring you a few steps closer to the person that you want to be.  So, take Psychology Today's Assertiveness test and see how much work needs to be done on this matter ;-)

My results were quite accurate (actually a bit better than I've anticipated), what about yours?

2 comments:

  1. Can I say no to the start of a new week, please??;-)

    I agree, although there are sometimes a very thin line between assertiveness and tactlessness! If you can find the balance between being assertive and holding your own, while still being tactful and not cause unnecessary hard feelings or arguments, you've got it! And don't forget the fun factor...:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true! littel miss mentor!! :-) Love the blog again! cant wait for the next one!

    ReplyDelete