Thursday, January 6, 2011

Thumbs up or down during 2011?

I hope that the first few days of 2011 were good ones, and that you'll embrace every opportunity that presents itself during this year.  All the best!

With the matric results in the news today my thoughts are running towards marks, assessment and evaluation.  For those who have been fortunate enough to study further the latter has been a part of your existence for another few years.  I don't know about you but I always dreaded exams.  But nowadays I understand the importance of being assessed very well - the ability to show that you truly comprehend that which have been learned is something that you'll apply throughout your life, in various settings.  Although most will agree that living is, and should be a life long learning process, exams and assessments are not part of the deal (unless you're a scholar or a student, that is).  I want to say thank heavens on the one hand, but on the other hand is it important to assess your thoughts and actions on a regular basis (with the focus on your own, not those of others necessarily).

I'm not a keen supporter of new years resolutions but it might not be a bad idea to be my own 'internal examiner' as from 2011, assessing the whole package every now and then to make sure that I'm still true to myself and living (or striving towards, at least) my dreams.  And to check that I'm not the most selfish, unkind person that I know ;-)


Is it thumbs up or down for you during January, according to yourself ... something to think about hey?

1 comment:

  1. Good point! I don't believe that resolutions should be left exclusively for the new year either, but it may be as good a time as any to have a good look at your life, habits and goals.

    There's an interesting article on Health24.com relating to this theme about self evaluation and practicing self discipline:

    http://www.health24.com/medical/Focus_centres/777-2268-2757-2801,60417.asp

    Here's to 2011!

    ReplyDelete