Tuesday, April 12, 2011

I love....me!

I came across this very interesting blog post about 'Body image and falling in love with yourself'' by Margarita Tartakovsky, MS.

According to her, body image is about so much more than falling in love with (or just liking, or even being comfortable with) your face and/or physique.  It's about falling in love with yourself - the complete package, that is.  That what you perceive as the good, the bad and the ugly that comprises...you! 

I am struggling with this concept at the moment (I trust that it is a momentary 'state' that will pass sooner rather than later) - really liking, left alone loving oneself.  We can blame this sorry state of affairs on the media (how the 'ideal woman' should look and behave), on your parents (how they're parenting style has 'scarred' you for life) or on society's collective consciousness (setting expectations on who I  should be given the work that I do, where I live and my socio-economic circumstances).  But, although the blaming game might provide some insight in understanding oneself better, fact is that I am the only person that I have to face throughout my whole life.  A trial seperation or divorce is not an option.  Looking at 'me, myself and I' from this perspective might shed some light.

I know that I have my fair share of 'bad and uglies' but that there are also a lot of good in the 'me' package.  And that, no matter how hard I try - I cannot get rid of the 'Black Swan' that forms part of me.  So I might just as well embrace this complete me - knowing that it's okay to have an 'off' day every now and then, not being the life of the party every time or not being able to handle a situation as gracefully as I normally would have.

As Tartakovsky stated, "Falling in love with yourself is a daily process".  I'm ready for phase 1 ;-)

Have a good week!

P.S. Tartakovsky suggests making a regular date with yourself is a good place to start.  Any other great ideas?  Please share ;-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment